Sunday, June 18, 2006

Red Orache

This is not about tomatoes, but this is a good place to post this story.

My parents grew up in Romania, where as you can imagine the food is different from ours here in the good old USA. One of the foods they missed was a soup made out of a plant in the spinach family. In Romanian it's called "loboda", and the soup is called "bors de loboda". They hadn't had this soup in about 40 years, and they longed for it. But the plant was nowhere to be found in the USA; they had not ever seen it here. I decided to find this plant and grow it for them as a surprise.

In the world of the internet, I was able to find out that the English name is red orache, but finding seeds to buy a couple of years ago was very difficult. I found some seeds in the UK, but I thought they would not go through customs. Finally I found a lady in the midwest who had many types of seeds to trade, not to buy. I got in touch with her and made deal (for which I was very grateful) and got the seeds. I planted them in the spring according to her directions, and they came up pretty well.

One day I took my parents out for lunch and swung by my house to show them something. My father sat in the car while I brought my mother out to the garden, and as soon as she saw the plants she knew what they were. In the car she told my father about the find, and they got all excited looking forward to eating "bors de loboda".

This is what it looked like:



But here is the reason I'm telling this story... The red orache produces a lot of seeds, and I saved quite a few of them. For other poor people who are looking for loboda, I'm willing to give seeds away. This offer is good only while my supply lasts, and I'll only mail to a USA address. If you want some loboda seeds, leave your name and address in a reply to this posting, but please don't ask for any if you just want something for free. Ask for some if you have been looking for this seed and couldn't find it anywhere.

10 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome, sweet, I was just reminiscing today about "ciorba de loboda" which I haven't had in at least 17 years, and your post sheds a lot of light on my search how to make one here in Canada. I miss Romanian food so much!!!

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Maslina Si Cartoful said...

Could you please please please pretty please tell me where I can find some seeds for this? I have been searching like crazy for Lovage, Patience/ Yellow Dock, and Red Oreche(Leustean, Stevie, si Loboda) I have found some one willing to sell me seeds for lovage. If you could help me get a hold of these seeds my search would be he halfway over. I would do anything in return.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Alex Bratu said...

Maslina,

I sent you an email in reply, but when I didn't hear from you for a few days I looked at the email address and found "noreply-comment@blogger.com" or something like that. I guess you never got my email, right? Please send me an email at alexbratu@att.net and I'll do a copy and paste from my original email. Sorry about that...

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Maslina Si Cartoful said...

I wanted to thank you here once more for sending me these seeds. You have definetly made several Romanians here at the University of Illinois. We have student club and yearly we have new romanians coming over. It is exciting to know that I have such seeds and they do not have to look too far for these much saught after items here in the good old U S of A. My mother says she has organic seeds of plants brough from Romania... So if you are interested you can let me know. merci merci merci

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger HelloPame said...

Hi tomato gardener!

I am one of those who actually has been looking for orache but could not find a supplier here in the US...only in Europe...I found you while doing another search on Google for "Orache seeds"

If I am not too late I'd be happy to trade for any seeds I have that may interest you...if you can, would you email me to arrange the trade? Below is my email address:

TheGardeningFool@hotmail.com

I'd prefer to exchange addresses via email than in a public forum...if you don't have any more seeds, the invite for seeds from my garden is still open :-)

Thanks!

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger HelloPame said...

Oops! I just read that the posting was from 2006!

Guess I should have looked at the dates before getting so hyped about the seeds! Sorry about that!

 
At 5:57 AM, Anonymous Debbie Aiman said...

Hi, I'm in Missouri and have been learning about herbs and gardening. I started my garden two years ago and have had some success with it. I realize you posted this in 2006, but I would appreciate a few seeds for Laboda. My family is Ukrainian and I keep trying to find links to the old country. I began my search for information on bloody dock, when I found your blog on tomatoes. Wonderful information. My name is Debbie Aiman, 10709 Newton, Kansas City, Mo 64134. If it's possible, thank you. If not it's okay. Thank you for the information. Happy gardening. Debbie

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi,i'm very interested in the seeds.e-mail me at asfaltel81@yahoo.com for price and the rest of the details. thanks

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Simonna said...

Hi, Alex, if you still read this and still have seeds to give away, please let me know... Bors de loboda would be a treat right now! My son never tasted that, he will go back to Romania, but in the summer, when it's time has already past. Or maybe you could give me the contact info of the lady who supplied you the seeds in the first place?
Thank you!
Simona

 
At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! The only reason I was able to find these seeds were because of your post. Otherwise I would never have found the name "Red Orach." I actually bought these seeds two weeks back from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds at this website:
http://www.rareseeds.com/red-orach/
I'll be sowing them soon.
I hope this helps to the new posters.
-Elena

 

Post a Comment

<< Home